Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sample results

I wove a full length sample today for the painted blanket warp. I used some 8/2 cotton, and also did a few inches of 10/2, doubled on the bobbin. Then I cut it off, zigzagged the edges, measured carefully and wrote down the measurements (experience talking here), then washed the sample in very hot water and dried in a very hot dryer. When I re-measured after it was completely dry, I was able to find my shrinkage percent (18 warp-wise, about 10 weft wise). I also have a piece of fabric that I can feel and see how the warp colors are going to interact with this weave structure. I like the weight of the sample fabric. I will use an 8/2 instead of doubled 10/2, since the 8/2 makes a more compact structure. I like the weave. It makes little puffs of fabric once washed and dried, and should make a nice warm blanket with all those tiny places for air.

What I don't like is the color of my 8/2 weft, so, what better excuse to order some more thread? I've ordered two pounds of 8/2 cotton in Alabaster from Webs. This is a light yellow. I decided to keep the weft light. There are a lot of yellow shades in this warp, and I think the Alabaster will tie everything together nicely.

It will probably take a week to get here, so I'll concentrate on rugs. I wound more warp for the Hammett today and have it through the reed and heddles, tied on the back beam and ready to wind on tomorrow. Warping for rugs is so much quicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment