Thursday, January 4, 2007

Log cabin lesson

This morning I laid out 8 yards of terry cloth on the kitchen table and cut out the robe for my brother. Eight yards seems like an incredible amount of material for a robe, but he's extra-tall. I ended up with maybe 6 inches full width left, so it was just right! This evening I have marked the pieces and hope to take them to the machine to zigzag all around each piece yet tonight.

Recently, I finished off a log cabin warp on the Hammett. I had put this warp on just before moving this summer. At the time, I kept thinking it was a crazy thing to do whilst boxes awaited packing, but it gave me a weaving focus in the middle of that mayhem. I put on a 30 inch wide warp in sections, with each 2 inch section changing colors across the warp to the middle, and repeating color changes backward to the other side. In this way, I thought, I'll use up small amounts of color left in my warp stash, and it will be perfect for using up most of that big blue tote of blue jeans.

However, I found out with the first blue jean weft that the lovely log cabin colors didn't show up too well. So, to my fabric pile I went, searching for colors to bring out the warp colors. Following are two photos: the first is the blue jean warp. Still a nice rug, but see how the warp colors jump out on the second rug. That warp produced 12 rugs, and as testy as it was to keep my edge sequence straight, I think I'll do it again in the spring - this time with shades of blues and who knows what? to bring out the denim colors in that big blue tote - still full of blue jeans.

log cabin with blue jean weft

wool weft in coordinating colors

No comments:

Post a Comment