Thursday, January 11, 2007

On to the new

Yippee! The bib fabric is done, off the loom, and washed. It has a nice bib-y feel to it. Now I just need to get some bias tape and cut and sew.

I decided to use my blues and purples painted cotton warp for the next project.

100_1984.JPG

I've already used about half of this warp for scarves, so I had 244 threads left in 7 yd. length. I decided to try a collapse weave. I'm threading it in a basket weave threading and using some wool singles with it: 10 threads of cotton, 4 of wool. This is a natural stripe threading and hopefully, the wool will shrink nicely and give me a collapse, or pleated, perhaps, weave. The cotton shouldn't shrink any more since it's been finished in extremely hot water several times during the dye process.

Good thing it's only about 15 inches wide in the reed, since I threaded in the wrong sequence for the whole thing before I caught it. I got to do that part twice today! Tomorrow I'll start through the heddles and possibly get it wound on. It will be a little touchy since the wool singles are fairly weak compared to the 10/2 cotton.

I wove a rug this evening. It helps to feel like I completed one thing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment