Monday, January 29, 2007

Almost warped

Finally, I have the painted warp beamed on the Newcomb.  Whew!  That was a job.  Here's an in-process photo. 100_2215.JPG

It's all nicely wound on now, and I'll tie onto the front apron tomorrow.  I'm not in love with these colors, and it's going to be a challenge to find the right weft.  If I use one of the darker colors for weft, it will intensify the piece, and if I use a lighter color, it will dilute it.  We'll see.  I'll try several colors of 8/2 that I have in stock, but will probably end up ordering a specific color for this project.

Beaming this 10/2 cotton for this many ends took me some hours last week and lots of hours this weekend.  It tangles easily and had to be put on front to back because of how it was wound and painted.  A couple things helped a lot to keep my sanity and keep from breaking threads.

After the warp was threaded through the reed and the heddles, I moved the cross to the back, behind the heddles.  To do this, I took the lease sticks out of the cross where it was, in the front, and, holding tension on the warp chains, stepped on the 1/3 treadle, inserted a stick behind the heddles, and then stepped on the 2/4 treadle and inserted the other stick.  I then tied the sticks together and tied them to the castle so they hung at the same height as the heddle eyes.  Another good tip is I lifted and tied the 1/3 treadles so the threads were separated as they went the reed.  This helped keep the threads from gobbing up together and breaking.

It was still a very slow and tedious process.  I listened to radio shows and also to Walter Mosely's book, The Man In My Basement.  I liked this book a lot.  It is multi-leveled, and in a disarming way.

Tomorrow I will tie this warp to the apron and see what I have.  I also am at the end of my rug warp on the Hammett and I'll be winding more warp for that loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment