Thursday, March 8, 2007

blanket finis

Well, I have the blanket warp off and the blanket sewn together and on my bed. So, that's as done as it gets. After much thought, I am posting a photo of the finished item. I really don't like this piece very much, and wasn't going to post a photo, but I am, for a couple reasons. 1) It's hard for me to get beyond the "I don't like it, so, nobody will like it" mentality. Different people have different tastes, and 2) My public (heh, heh) deserves to see the not-so-good pieces.

One reason this piece doesn't send me is the colors I used, and, thus, I learn the lesson again (how many times do I have to go through this?) to use colors I like and in the values I like. The yellows and brick reds and oranges are all pretty colors, but I typically don't go for those colors used in a value of more than 15%, say. By value, I mean how much of the color I use compared to the whole piece. I think the end result is quite garish, and I'm generally not a garish type person.
Another reason and another lesson learned is that the painted warp doesn't lend itself well to panels that are sewn together side by side. I need to stick to single panel pieces or use larger solid areas between panels.
On the good side, now that I've picked the whole thing apart, it is a wonderful weight and quite warm. I like the way the 3/1 twill worked because the two sides are very different. One is warp faced and this is the side with lots of color, and the weft faced side is very muted. It's my favorite side ;-)

I'll try to post a photo of both sides.

100_2233.JPG

100_2235.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment