Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tea Towel Stripes

After the blanket warp, I was ready for some different colors. I don't have another painted warp ready yet, so I went to my stash, pulled out some colors and warped up for tea towels in plain weave. I like making tea towels. It's an excellent way to sample and see how colors or weave structures work and make useful items, too. Tea towels always sell out quickly for me.

For this warp, I'm mixing weights of fiber. I am using 12/2 Cottolin (mix of cotton and linen) at 24 epi, 10/2 Pearl Cotton in blue and deep yellow at 24 epi, 10/2 red at 24 epi, and some 8/2 cotton in light yellow at 20 epi. That means I had to mind my knittin' while threading through the reed, but it went on just fine. And for the record, the yellows are about 15% of total colors used.  The deep yellow is only used between the stripes to set off each stripe.
I am making sets of towels and should end up with 6 sets. Each set will be different. I crossed the first one with the Pearl blue, the second I am using the red, and putting a stripe on each end of the towel. It's fun to see what difference the various weft colors make.

Here are a couple pics. First is a photo of the warp as it is wound on, before being crossed with anything. These are the true colors of the warp. The second is a towel in progress, being crossed with red. And that's my new Bluster Bay end feed shuttle!

100_2237.JPG

100_2236.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment