Friday, March 8, 2013

Progress

I haven't had a lot of free time the last couple days, but I did get the threading completed this evening and started beaming the warp. I hope to get that finished tomorrow morning and maybe, maybe, I can get started weaving on Sunday.
The 20/2 has a lot of twist and I measured it out by twos, so I tried to be very careful when threading to go back to the lease sticks and separate each thread within it's couplet so there was as little twisting around each other as possible. So far, so good. I have lease sticks in the back and in the front, and that helps keep it all nice and straight, too.
It's been a while since I've sewn anything for myself from my handwoven fabric. It's not really much different sewing with handwoven than with anything else as long as the fabric hand is what you want. However, I have been stuck forever, it seems, in the conundrum of wanting to sew something but not really having occasion to wear a fancy handwoven whatever. I don't dress up often, (that's the understatement of the year), and don't want to put the time and effort into something that hangs in the closet.
Then I started thinking about my ancestors. Their everyday clothes were made from handwovens, and talk about taking a licking and keeping on ticking. Those women got a lot of use out of their garments.
So I'm thinking a cotton blouse, or top, for summer wear. Something airy and light. I have threaded this warp in Swedish Lace, and am hoping the 20/2 threads will give enough air flow in the lace areas for comfort, but also give enough coverage for a summer blouse.

Here's what I have in my pattern stash. It will need to be one of these, because it appears decent patterns have gone the way of the rotary dial phone.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment