Sunday, October 21, 2012

Painted Warps II

I painted the two 12-yard mercerized cotton warps today. 700 something ends in each. I had previously underdyed them -one a light blue and one a light purple. I figured I may as well go ahead and get them dyed. They are wrapped up in their plastic now, sitting in a dog-free area of the yard where the sun can hit them. I'll wait a few days to wash them out, mainly because my knuckles are still swollen from yesterday's washing out of the Tencel. As much as I love working with painted warps, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to rationalize the physical effects. So, nice to have a few to go into this winter with!

I also got my new overshot tea towel warp beamed this weekend and wove a little on it this evening.






I'm in love again. This is Waldenweave from Bertha Gray Hayes. I was looking for a pattern that has a little larger repeat size. The last couple coverlets I've made have been with a pretty small repeat pattern (that's why they call them miniature patterns, right?) There are a couple in Ms. Hayes pattern book that are a little larger and this is one of them.

Getting to know a new overshot pattern is a little like starting a relationship. Am I going to like you? Are you going to be problematic? Exactly how does your treadling work line by line? Then, after a few repeats, and I can't see any threading errors, we get down to establishing our working relationship. How can I manipulate the treadling pattern so I can see quickly if I have an error? Do I really like you well enough to weave 12 yards of you?

As I said, I'm in love, so the answers are yes, yes, yes!

warp: 10/2 cotton at 24 epi
pattern weft: 10/2 cotton
tabby weft: 20/2 cotton

I have lots of colors of 10/2 and 20/2. Fun!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. The tea towels are just beautiful! Did you use merc or unmerc cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I use unmercerized, much more absorbent than the mercerized. I have read opinions to the opposite, but haven't found it to be the case. Although I want my tea towels to be beautiful, I am always a utilitarian weaver first.

    ReplyDelete