Sunday, October 7, 2012

A look back

A look back at the week, that is. Despite not a lot to show for it, I was quite busy this week. I finished weaving the wool samples. They are cut off the loom and waiting for me to stack sweet potatoes in boxes so I can get to the sewing machine and secure the ends before wet finishing. On the list for this week.

I finished rendering lard for soap. Hopefully, I'll get a batch made in the next couple weeks. Rendering lard inside, in the oven, is not a thing like rendering it outside, in a kettle over a fire. It smells kind of good when done outside, but in the house, it starts feeling like you're breathing grease. I'm glad that job is done and marked off my list.

I nearly have my son-in-law's slippers ready for felting. That's going to be a bit of a crap shoot since his feet are in Germany and I'm here. I'll try to leave them a little large, and hopefully we can finish them once they are united with his feet. I would leave the whole process until then, but they have only a front loading machine - actually, I'm not sure they have any top loaders there - and it's not openable once started. So, most of the felting here, then hand felting in the sink to finish it.

He wears a 13, and the slippers, of course, in their unfelted state, are huge.





That's my felted slipper beside his (different pattern).

I went for my first fall walk in the woods today. It was wonderful, a bright, crisp morning (40 deg.), and my dog and I were the only ones on the trail.

We're supposed to have frost tonight, so I pulled my two houseplants inside this afternoon. Frost means the garden will need clearing, at least the tomatoes and eggplant. The lettuce, chard and kale should be blissful with the cooler weather.

And, I wound warps.





The shiny ones on the back of the couch are 8/2 tencel. There are six scarf/stole warps there. I'll wash them this week, and hopefully, be able to dye them the next week. My friend, Vicki, and I will be dyeing together.

The lower, ochre colored warp chains are 10/2 cotton natural for the next overshot tea towel warp. You can really see the difference in color, huh? I was hoping to get started on at least sleying it this weekend, but it was not to be. Friday was a long and late day at work for our Membership Picnic (moved indoors due to weather) and I was feeling tired, low energy, tired, a bit head-achey, and did I mention tired? on Saturday. Plus it was a cold, drizzly day, which didn't help me feel any better. I knit, wound warps, and read.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment