Monday, September 24, 2012

Now for a little prep work

The coverlet is done. I'll try to get a pic of it on a bed up soon - too late today. The rugs are done. I dug my sweet potatoes today after returning from Weaving Guild (which was delightful, as always).




I use raised beds, and these were grown in an 8'x4' bed. I dug them with a hand trowel and my fingers. I LOVE raised bed gardening.

So, sweet potatoes are off the list of urgent things to do. I have several things to do to the house and yard before cold weather hits, but I also need to wind warps for dyeing. A friend and I are going to have a dye day, bring the warps we have wound (or measured, depending on your nomenclature), and I have zero, count 'em, zero warps ready. I want to have at least 4 or 5, but mostly they'll be narrow, so that's not such a big deal. I'll be using 8/2 Tencel. The Tencel gods have decided there will be no more 10/2 in natural available, so 8/2 it is. I'll just have to sett it close enough that my 10/2 Tencel colors will give me the desired effect.

So, about this winding/measuring deal. When I take yarn from the cone and wind it on the warping board in 100-end bouts, I call that "winding." When I put it on the loom, I call that "beaming." However, not all weavers use these words. Some call the process of putting the warp on the warp beam "winding," and the warping board process "measuring." It would be nice if we all referred to it as the same thing... probably not going to happen.....

I still have a lot I'd like to accomplish before I head off on my winter trips. I hope to get another overshot tea towel warp at least beamed, and possibly woven, and the next coverlet warp on. I'm on a coverlet/blanket rampage, and I can't stop!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment