Friday, September 14, 2012

Beginning the finish



The coverlet pieces are off the loom, washed and dried. They've been sitting on my couch for most of this week, looking at me reproachfully as I hurried by them up the stairs to thread and beam the rug warp, as I finally finished the kitchen paint job, as I did a myriad of things that I'm sure were essential. But this evening I finally stood in front of the coverlet pieces and started our conversation.

I had already laid them out on the floor to see if they came close to matching, and they do, for the most part. I think there is actually a snowball's chance in hell of making this one work. I'm pretty determined to give it my best shot. This translates to sewing the pieces together by hand first, matching the pattern with each stitch, before I take it to the machine and make it permanent.

It's important the pieces stay as un-tensioned as possible, so I started out on my zafu and a pillow, so I can sit cross-legged for a period of time and still walk tomorrow, and the floor supports the bulk of the coverlet, so gravity doesn't pull on it. This was my workplace tonight.





Not saying I'm going to stay on the floor. I have it started now, and I know exactly where the needle has to go into the pattern (on both pieces) to make it match (I think). And I think I can keep the correct tension going even if I'm not sitting on the floor. Who knows, maybe I'll graduate to a chair! Whoo-ee! Party Down! (But the zafu is pretty comfortable, too.)

That's all tomorrow, though.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment