Thursday, June 7, 2012

And now, for something completely different

(to quote Monty Python.)  Although I am still weaving at least one tea towel a day on the blue striped warp, I am also sewing a jacket for my son.  He's a musician and has a big gig coming up the end of July.  He wants to look uber cool on stage and asked me to make him a neon green jacket.  As you may imagine, pure neon green isn't just jumping off the shelves in fabric stores, but I did find a batik type piece of quilt fabric that is neon green with little tan squiggly looking things on it. 

So, that's what I've been doing this week - sewing the neon jacket.  I'm a little over half way finished.  It's a very loose fitting jacket, since this is the only jacket pattern I have left, so I interfaced the cotton with an iron-on interfacing, and am also lining it with a cotton drapery lining fabric, which I happened to have already.  I made the shoulder pads.

I'll be happy when it's done, and it's not taxing my patience as much as I thought it would.  I sew for a couple hours and put it down - go pull weeds or something, and weave when I can.

I'm glad I still had this one pattern.  I've found it's getting difficult to find a pattern for things like a men's jacket.  The patterns I find are quite simplified skirts, dresses, blouses.  I wish I had kept more of my patterns. 

My mom talked about when she was growing up and how patterns were so rare.  She said if anyone in the community somehow got a pattern, it would make the rounds and everyone made a copy.   I hope it won't get to that again, but I'm not sure.  It's a shame to lose the art of sewing your own clothes. 

I'm still looking at overshot patterns, and thinking, and thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment