Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New blankets







The blanket above is a little overshot pattern from Bertha Gray Hayes.  It's Queen Anne's Lace, (I think).  Since it's such a small repeat I didn't keep careful track of the repeat sizes, thinking it would all match up, but nooooooooo.  It didn't match very well at all.  After a few days of stewing over it, I put it away for a few days, thinking I now had yardage for some future project.  I finally decided to get over myself, set it together and use it, unmatched though it is.  And I'm really glad I did.  It's a lovely piece and looks nice on the bed.  Next time I do a small overshot, I'll keep careful track of repeat sizes, though.  Lesson learned.



The photo above shows the 3/1 twill I just finished.  You can see the drastic difference between the two sides.  3/1 twill basically makes a cloth that is very weft faced on one side and warp faced on the other.  This was fun to do, but I'll think twice before threading 20/2 used doubled for warp for a 48 inch wide piece. 


This photo shows the 3/1 twill on the bed, warp faced side up. 

I have a couple towels finished on the blue striped warp (10/2 cotton) I just put on.  I like making something like tea towels after I finish a big project.  They fly off the loom, they're pretty, and they're functional.

I find myself thumbing through the overshot patterns, though.  I'm not sure how many blankets my family can use, but I sure like making them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment