Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Second opinion

I'm about 2/3 through the Foursquare warp. I've been weaving with either 10/2 pattern weft and 20/2 tabby, or 10/2 pattern weft and 10/2 tabby. Both are okay. These are all cotton wefts, and I don't mind a little more heft when I'm making tea towels.

However, I have some 18/2 wool (I'm guessing here, but think I'm pretty close) and I've been wanting to sample it on an overshot warp. So, today I wove about 30 inches using the 18/2 wool as pattern weft and 20/2 cotton for tabby. Wow! What a difference! It's made me look at the pattern in a more likeable light, for one thing. I really wasn't liking this pattern much, but it blossoms with the finer pattern weft. Can't wait to see how this wet finishes.





And here's a close-up:




The tabby I'm using is a very light beige and the wool is a nice muted green. You can see the beige in this close-up. And look how the little center motif looks so dainty and, dare I say it, flower-like? The finer weft reduces the repeat length about 10%, which means more shuttle throws, but that's always the case when you go finer with weft.

It will be really interesting to see what kind of weight the finished fabric has. And I think I'll try a similar weight in cotton for the pattern weft on the last couple towels. Always fun to explore.

But I'm still warping flowers next.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments: