Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A beginning

I will be away from my loom for the next year, while I'm helping family out with some medical issues. Before I left home, though, I did get the Swedish Lace woven off. I knew better than to leave a project midway for a year and hope to have any idea where I was when I get back.

This was to be blouse fabric - natural 20/2 crossed in red 20/2- and, of course, once it was off, I cannot imagine it in a blouse. Here are the two sides of the fabric:
This shows the weft as the horizontal stripes in the blocks:





This shows the warp as the vertical stripes in the blocks:





I like the warp in the vertical stripes best, but still, blouse? Can't see it. I don't any any idea what I'll do with this fabric, but I have about 5 yards of it.

I crossed the remainder of the warp with 20/2 natural, thinking I could make some curtains out of it.

Here are two shots:
First, with horizontal stripes:





And then, the opposite side, showing vertical stripes:





It wet finished beautifully, with the full value of the fabric coming out in the hard press and both pieces have a lovely, light and airy hand. I like this fabric a lot.

I may make curtains out of the second piece. It would be pretty for something wearable (probably not a blouse), but not sure what. It's really more suited to table linens/curtains usage, I think.

I did tie the threading so I can come back and throw on another 20/2 warp in this pattern if I decide I want to. Good to keep your options open.

I have weaving books with me, and am transposing threadings and treadlings to number charts. And, of course, there are patterns and weaving all over the place if I but look for them.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment