Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back at it

I'm back at the loom after 3 weeks in CA visiting kids and grandkids.  What a good time!  And, I managed to miss 3 weeks of ridiculously hot and dry weather here in Missouri.  Still have said weather going on, but just knowing I missed 3 weeks of it makes me happy-faced.

I did not finish the sample overshot warp before I left.  On purpose.  I left the weaving partway through the last sample (which will be serving as a tea towel), with my treadling notes, shuttles, etc. all exactly as if I were leaving for a bathroom break.  Even so, when I sat down at the loom again, it took me a repeat to feel like I was back on top of the pattern.

I finished out the warp, pulled those towels off, wet finished, and made some decisions on how where to stop the edges for best piecing.  I'll be putting three pieces together for this coverlet, and I want a small seam, but enough seam to match the pattern easily.   I think I have it, but we'll see.  That's why I wove a sample warp, and rethreaded the edges 3 times within that warp.

I'm onto threading the 921 threads for the coverlet.  I'm through the reed and about 1/4 through the threading.  I'm hoping to get it completely beamed by the end of the weekend.  It is still at least 100 degrees in the afternoons, and my loom room is upstairs.  I have a window AC unit I can put into that room, but it's still sitting on the floor.

I had Radiant Barrier put into my attic within the last couple years, and the difference in the heat in the house is amazing.  I use climate sense cooling, by which I mean I open the house at night to let the cool night air in, and close it up in the morning.  When I get home from work a little after noon, it's still cool in the house.  I like living in natural air, so it suits me fine.

Still need to wind some 8/2 tencel for painting this fall.  I need to make some project and warp decisions before I wind warp.  I figure it can wait until I get this coverlet beamed, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment