Monday, April 9, 2007

A good day for painting a warp

Since the forecast is for showers the next several days, I took advantage of the warmest day we've had in a week to paint a warp. I decided on a dusky blue to yellow colorway, which will give greens in the middle areas where the two colors meet. I have some photos posted below. The first is the plain white warp, wound into chains, and soaked in fixer, laid out on 12 yards of black plastic. On another day, I scoured these warp chains and line dried them, so they were ready and waiting for this sunny afternoon.

100_2269.JPG

The second photo shows the warp after I painted the colors on, with the third photo being a close up to show the colors as they appear on the warp. Bear in mind that this warp is sopping wet with dye and fixer.

100_2271.JPG

100_2272.JPG

I have folded the black plastic over the warp chains and weighted it with boards. It will stay like that on the lawn for 48 hours, minimum, longer if it stays cloudy and rainy. The black plastic is good for soaking up solar rays.

After the warp has cured in the sun for several days, I'll wash the excess dye out with many baths in hot water and Synthropol, then line dry before heading to the loom. I'll try to post photos of the warp drying on the line. The difference in colors from today's product to the end product is pretty amazing sometimes. Each dye project is an experiment, and this part of the experiment requires patience. Patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment